A Muffin or a Cupcake?

So I’m on a diet.

Thank you for that collective “ugh” I just heard from across the states.

It’s not a no carb plan….or a high protein….or vegan.  (Good grief…if it is was a vegan plan I would be starving…just saying part of the word vegetables makes me shiver)

It’s simply a “cut my calories” plan.

A “make better choices” plan.

I take a look at my choices of food and try to pick the one that I deem healthiest or lowest in calories and still edible.

A banana or a cinnamon roll.

A Pepsi or a glass of water.

Carrots or broccoli.

In some ways we live our lives on a diet…I mean we really only have 24 hours in a day and a set amount of money.

We make life “diet” choices all the time.

Sunday worship services or a leisurely morning.

PTO meeting or kid’s soccer game.

A bike ride or a movie .

new clothes or a gift for a friend.

Send my kid to camp or a family vacation.

Really the choices go on and on.   Some are easy because the “right” choice is clear.  A banana will always be better for me than a cinnamon roll.  Choosing to worship God with our church family will always be better for me than staying home.  Others are harder…carrots and broccoli are both good for me.  Both camp and family vacations are good things.  I could go on but really you already have a list of choices in your head that you are making right now.

When I start analyzing my life choices there are a couple of verses I tend to remember.

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal,but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”  Matthew 6:19-21

“And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.”  Galatians 6:19-20

These and other scriptures guide us.  They were in the front of our minds when we made the choice to join the missions team in Santiago, Chile for two years instead of staying in our stateside ministry.  Please continue praying with us as we raise support for our short term ministry in Chile.  We are thankful for those who’ve been able to support us bringing our ministry support level to 40%!  We’ve got a little over 2 months to raise the remaining 60% needed to join the team by the time school starts at the end of July.

Well I’ve got to go pull out the muffins from the oven for the school’s Mother’s Day breakfast tomorrow morning.  One of the many life choices I made this week.

Make muffins for the school breakfast or take a long bath.

Get up early to go to the breakfast with my daughter or sleep an extra 15 minutes.

Ah.  It was an easy choice.

Now picking out which muffin to test out tonight.  Not so easy.

I mean….. is a chocolate muffin really that different from a chocolate cupcake???

This entry was posted in Updates. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply